[OS X TeX] Re: TeXShop: ISO Latin 9, German and Japanese Localizations

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Jan 16 19:56:12 EST 2006

Am 17.01.2006 um 01:39 schrieb Bob Kerstetter:

> Hum? So that's why we have to place the encoding at the top of web
> page sources, so the browsers know what to do?

Yes. It makes thinks clear. Is the binary code A4 in hex
representation now meant to be presented as CURRENCY SIGN or CYRILLIC
CAPITAL LETTER UKRAINIAN IE or EURO SIGN or LATIN CAPITAL LETTER C
WITH DOT ABOVE or LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH MACRON or THAI
CHARACTER KHO KHWAI? (And I did not look into MS or IBM DOS or winDOS
or NeXT or HP-Roman or Mac-Roman or ...)

> Also, sometime during the last week or so, someone on this list
> wrote then utf8 and utf-8 are different encodings. Is that correct
> or did I, hopefully, misread that?

No, only in TeX, and there it comes from the names of different STY
files. For TeX too UTF-8 is UTF-8. Both STY files handle some things
differently, so some way was needed to choose between them ...

--
Greetings

   Pete