[OS X TeX] once more: owners, groups and privilegues of texmf.local

Frank STENGEL fstengel at mac.com
Sat Jan 21 15:54:04 EST 2006

Le 21 janv. 06 à 20:23, Friedrich Vosberg a écrit :

> Morning.
>
> I want to install fonts for all TeX users of my system (MacOS X
> 10.4.4 gwTeX by i-Installer). Therefore I want to install the font
> files into /usr/local/teTeX/shared/texmf.local/...
>
> But this directory and all subdirectories have the folllowing
> owner, groups and privilegues
>
>     drwxr-xr-x root wheel
>
> so I can't install there the directories and files as needed for
> the installation of the fonts (Luxi Mono, Bera).

Well, it really depends on how you plan on installing these files. If
by terminal, then a sudo will suffice to move the files. The best
would be to have archives (.zip, .tar.gz, .tgz) of the files in the
proper hierarchy (eg $TEXMF/fonts/etc.) and unpack these archives in
the proper place, using

unzip "path to the .zip archive" -d "path to texmf.local"
tar -C "path to texmf.local" xzf "path to .tgz file"

the latter is, as far as I can tell, what i-Installer does when
installing the various TeX bits...

> Now I consider to change the group of texmf.local and its
> subdirectories to admin.

It could work, though I'm not sure... I know what works, and I do not
have a system to play around with...

> Are there serious reasons to refrain from doing this? And if so,
> how can I install the files for *all* users only *once*? Would it
> be a good idea to create my texmf directory in /Users/Shared/
> texmf/... and link to this directory by aliases in each ~/Library?

That could cause problems. You have to make sure everybody can read
your files and access the directories. The other problem is that this
could give a backdoor to your home folder...

> What would you suggest?

Wait for a kind soul to write a utility that unpacks a hierarchy in
the proper places ;-)? I you are not looking for cutting edge, and
MikTeX has got the package, then you could install it using
TCOBrowser's MikTeX archive handling properties (though I'm not that
sure it can install in texmf.local: permissions...)

--
Frank STENGEL (fstengel<at>mac.com)