[OS X TeX] paths in input & include

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Sun Jan 22 15:22:25 EST 2006

On Jan 22, 2006, at 12:20 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:
> Question 1: the only "odd" character is a space, not other "funny"
> characters, like ß, é, ƒ, or ™

yes - space only. Very specifically, I tried the following (verbatim)
   \include{"folder 1/folder 2/My file"}
   \input{"folder 1/folder 2/My file"}

> Question 2: (this should not be an issue, but just in case): is the
> " turned into an active character (the babel package for various
> languages does this, Dutch, German, …).

no (at least I don't think so becasue I am not using babel explicitly
in my file)

> Question 3: Have you tried \include{"folder1 with space/folder2
> with space/latex file with space"}

yes: and here is what happens in this case:
     first, tex issues the warning that folder1.tex and folder1.aux
are not found
     then, without stopping the typesetting, it produces a pdf  that
prints the string (verbatim)

    1/folder 2/My file"

i.e. to contiguous string up to the first blank is interpreted as the
filename; when this file is not found, the entire string in \inlcude
after the opening quote is interpreted as a string to print. The
second quote mark doesn't have an effect and so it doesn't matter
where it is placed.

As I said earlier, \input does not have this problem. It is really
curious that \input and \include handle filenames so differently.

Themis