[OS X TeX] Find in TexShop does not respond

Adam Goldstein adam.goldstein at jhu.edu
Sun Jan 22 15:59:51 EST 2006

On Jan 22, 2006, at 2:23 PM, McGarry Vince wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2006, at 1:09 PM, Adam Goldstein wrote:
>
>> I am having the same problem or nearly the same problem (I think)
>> that Sergei is having.
>>
>> (1) I perform a search in TS 2.08 using the Ogrekit panel. The
>> search is completed as would be expected.
>>
>> (2) I dismiss the find panel window, which disappears as would be
>> expected.
>>
>> (3) A short while later, the find panel reappears by itself, and I
>> dismiss it. It seems to function as it should, however.
>>
>> (4) A short while later still, the find panel reappears by itself,
>> and cannot be dismissed, and is insensitive to clicking and typing.
>>

> This sounds familiar. I thought there was a conflict with CodeTek's
> VirtualDesktop and the Ogrekit panel that was causing a similar
> behavior on my system, since the panel would show up on different
> desktops even after being closed and I am experiencing behavior
> (4), too

Hello all,

I posted a message to the TeXShop support forum just now about this.
To save everyone the trouble of going over there:

Begin copied posting:

I think that I have solved the problem of the reappearing find
window. The problem is that the find panel is really two windows put
together, the find window and the find results window. Closing the
find window makes the results window disappear at first. But then the
results window returns; apparently being closed in virtue of
attachment to the find window does not operate with extreme
prejudice, so to speak, permitting the results window to reappear.
When the results window reappears, it brings the find window with it;
but the latter is inoperative. Closing both windows independently of
one another makes them both close and stay closed, though.

You can tell what is happening because when the phantom window
reappears, it is listed only as ``find results'' in the window list
menu. If both windows are open legitimately, both are listed.

There is apparently a bug in Ogrekit, or in something else related to
it. But if you want the window to go away and stay away, separate the
results window from the find window by dragging it far enough aware
from the latter, and close it; then close the find window.

I hope this helps someone out there!

End copied posting.

-----
Adam Goldstein