[OS X TeX] using packages can be dangerous

delanoy at math.univ-lyon1.fr delanoy at math.univ-lyon1.fr
Sun Jan 29 09:22:23 EST 2006

       hello all,

 something quite weird happened to me today :

 1) I added the command \usepackage{hhline} in the preamble of
my .tex file, and used \hhline somewhere.

 2) The resulting PDF turned out to be horribly ugly, with almost every
character
displayed as a different character.

 3) I hastily deleted the uses of hhline in my source file, and re-texed
it. The PDF file
did not change.

 4) I deleted the PDF file and retexed the .tex file ; this time the PDF
file was all right.

 5) After that, when I relooked at another (already opened) PDF file, it
was stricken with
the same disease ! Quite surprisingly, this PDF file was the "Not so short
intro to LaTeX "
(for which the source file is not on my computer), so it seems that the
problem is on
the PDF viewer and not on the TeXShop machine. I fixed the problem
similarly, by closing
and reopening the file.

  As you can see, I'm not in need of help over this any more, but some
explanations would
sure be welcome ....

                                                    Ewan