[OS X TeX] Fixed epstopdf, which handles %%BoundingBox: (atend) OK.

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Sun Jan 29 17:45:57 EST 2006

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 11:09:48PM +0100, Gerben Wierda wrote:
> Please all, try the fixed epstopdf to be found on
>
> 	ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/epstopdf

As to the 'binary junk': the first 4 bytes are a signature, the next
4 are the length of the actual PostScript code and the 4 after that
is the offset in the total file. So you might want to use this
information when stripping the preview header. This is described in
the eps specification, which is available from
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/ps/index_specs.html

> To be able to detect line ending, I employed a trick. The trick is to
> read a certain number of bytes and try to guess the line ending from
> that. Then I wrote difficult code to be able to keep using what was
> already read, because I cannot close and open the stream again if
> epstopdf is used as filter. I was just hacking, not doing serious
> maintenance as I was under the impression someone else maintained it.

I didn't test how your script would behave, but keep in mind that an
eps may include another eps with different line endings.

--
Siep Kroonenberg