[OS X TeX] Two random reflections

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jan 31 12:10:50 EST 2006

Le 27 janv. 06 à 17:15, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Le 27 janv. 06 à 16:08, Herbert Schulz a écrit :
>
>> Are you using Keynote 3 yet? Does the LinkBack plugin still work
>> with this new version of Keynote?
>
> Not yet. iWork '06 ordered straight after Steve's MacWorld keynote,
> but at the French Apple Store shipping is starting on February 1
> only. I just checked for my order, there's now an expected delivery
> date of February 6.

iWork '06 and iLife '06 were finally delivered and installed today.
First reaction: they're huge! Keynote 3 (the app) is about 1 GB
compared with about 200 MB for Keynote 2, and so forth for Pages and
all iLife applications. As a result, there used to be about 9 GB free
on my 60 GB hard drive, and it's now suddenly down to 4 GB after
installing the '06 versions.

Similarly, the iLife '06 DVD is about 6 GB big! I imagine it must be
double-layer or something. Which implies, I imagine, that I can't
make a backup copy as the SuperDrive in my PowerBook G4 from 2003
can't probably burn double-layer DVDs.

Apple seems also to follow the trend of omitting printed
documentation: in iWork '06 there are only First Contact booklets for
each application, while the actual user manuals are only available in
electronic form in /Library/Documentation/Applications/iWork '06/. I
was precisely pricing Apple for still including printed manuals with
its software, that can be read in the train or bus etc.! I was also
liking the size and aspect ratio of the iWork '05 manuals very much.

Back on topic: I can confirm the LinkBack 2 plugin doesn't work with
Keynote 3. The installer .pkg package checks for Keynote 2, and
doesn't see Keynote 3. I tried bypassing this by Ctrl-clicking
the .pkg bundle, so as to access and uncompress Archive.pax.gz
inside, then putting /Frameworks/LinkBack.framework and Resources/
Animations/K2LinkBackSupport.sfxplugin at the corresponding locations
inside Keynote 3. Alas: this doesn't work (Keynote 3 doesn't seem to
see the plugin).

Fortunately, copying an equation from a Keynote document and pasting
it back inside LaTeXiT for editing is still working.