[OS X TeX] LaTeXiT and transparency

Jens Noeckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Tue Jul 4 11:25:17 EDT 2006

On Jul 4, 2006, at 5:19 AM, Jan Hegewald wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Am 04.07.2006 um 07:50 schrieb Jens Noeckel:
>
>> Interesting: I was just going to suggest a workaround using
>> Preview, but saw that Preview is behaving as badly as Powerpoint
>> here. I just tried dragging a PDF from LaTeXiT to Preview and got
>> a white background as well, whereas Adobe Illustrator correctly
>> keeps the background empty. So it's not just Powerpoint that's
>> doing this.
>
> I think Preview.app just uses white as default background color. So
> one won´t notice the difference between transparent and white
> background.

Hi,
that's what I thought, too, since copying a PDF from Preview does
indeed preserve a transparent background. But that's not what seems
to happen when you try exporting from Preview as GIF. Instead, the
white background is exported as NON-transparent white - and I don't
see a switch to turn this wrong behavior off. If I give Preview a
transparent PNG, though, it really shows the background as
transparent, showing the default background color you select in the
Preferences (dark gray, e.g.). I wonder what the point of that
background setting is, anyway, if Preview respects it sometimes and
not other times.

Jens