[OS X TeX] verbatim problems

Rick Zaccone zaccone at bucknell.edu
Fri Jul 7 13:35:00 EDT 2006

On Jul 7, 2006, at 11:21 AM, George Gratzer wrote:

> My document has regular Unix line endings (Dick checked this with a
> hex dump). This is not
> surprising since this was my first suspicion too, so I used BBEdit
> to change the end of line characters to Unix.

I don't know if your problem is a line ending problem.  I do know
that asking your text editor to do the conversion for you is not
always reliable.  I can relate my experience with emacs.  Other text
editors probably have similar issues.

Emacs looks at the first n lines of a file (I forget what n is) to
determine what kind of line endings the file has.  If half the file
has one type of line endings and the second half has another type, it
will incorrectly assume that the entire file has the same line
endings.  There may be only a few lines that have different line
endings.  This may affect its ability to do the conversion
correctly.  I've seen these mixed line ending issues in files that
have moved from one OS to another.  A visual inspection of the file
with a hex editor may result in a similar incorrect conclusion.

You might try opening the file with emacs using M-x find-file-
literally and then search for a carriage return character.  You could
search for a carriage return with a hex editor too.

Rick