[OS X TeX] verbatim problems

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Sat Jul 8 11:02:18 EDT 2006

On 2006 Jul 7 , at 23.10, Alan Litchfield wrote:

> I thought in that case it was related to the exam class I was using
> at the time. I was inserting chunks (model answers) that were
> subsequently wrapped in the verbatim environment.

I can imagine this combination being rather flaky.  The way that
{verbatim} works is by fiddling with catcodes and then reading lines
of the input one by one until it spots the string \end{verbatim}.
The way a chunking style would _probably_ work, as it sends bits of
text to external files, would be by doing some _different_ catcode
fiddling, then reading lines of the input one by one, until...

So it's not that this combination _can't_ work, just that there's a
rich array of beartraps ready for the implementer to fall in (and I
fell into a few of them myself when implementing an exam style of my
own).

Norman

----
Norman Gray  /  http://nxg.me.uk
eurovotech.org  /  University of Leicester, UK