[OS X TeX] Novice questions: Including graphics in Plain TeX, pdfsync, controlling page sizes

AES siegman at stanford.edu
Sat Jul 8 13:51:56 EDT 2006

Making the painful transition from Textures to MacTeX and TeXShop
from the 2005 TUG CD.  They're working -- but help with a few
residual aches and pains would be appreciated.

All the following is with an iBook G4, Mac OS 10.3.9 and TeXShop
1.43, and is focused on Plain TeX, NOT LaTeX.

1)  Including graphics in LaTeX documents works fine, but can one
also include graphics in Plain TeX documents using TeXShop?  What
formats are possible, and how to do it?  (The TeXShop and MacTeX
documentation is unclear, to me anyway, on this point.)

2)  Getting pdfsync to work?  The pdfsync.tex file is installed in
~/Library/texmf/tex/plain/, and the other pdfsync files are also in
their appropriate places, but nothing happens in Plain TeX.

(And by the way, does "texmf" stand for something:  "master files"?
"metafont"?  And if I put some of my own auxiliary or boilerplate
files into the /texmf folder -- for example, into a
~/Library/texmf/myauxfiles/ subfolder, can I then "input" those files
into TeXShop source files located elsewhere in my file system?  Will
I need to include an alias to such an auxiliary file in the same
folder as the TeXShop master file?)

3)  Some of my documents are standard letter size, but I also want to
preview and save slides with the typeset area in landscape mode.
Textures displayed a nice thin blue outline around the typeset
preview region as determined by \hsize and \vsize settings.  Any
analog to this in MacTeX/TeXShop?  (I've been using \hrules at top
and bottom of typeset page as a workaround.)

And when I'm creating slides, TeXShop just doesn't seem to recognize
it if I change the Page Setup in the TeXShop File menu to Landscape
mode.  The "artboard" area in the preview window (the gray region
around the white preview region) doesn't rotate to landscape
orientation, for example, and the PDF pages that are created aren't
in landscape orientation.   Where do I learn about controlling the
preview and output PDF pages? (again, in Plain TeX, not LaTeX))

Thanks . . .