[OS X TeX] Fwd: Using a ttf font with separate ligatures in xelatex

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Jul 12 05:01:21 EDT 2006

Le 12 juil. 06 à 10:48, S P Suresh a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> One of my friends has the following doubt regarding xelatex (he
> uses Linux), and I do not know any other place to look for help. It
> is about a Windows ttf font, but I hope the solution is not Windows-
> specific. Can anyone help me!?
>
> Thank you,
> Suresh
>
>> From: Madhavan Mukund
>> Date: 12 July 2006 12:03:59 PM GMT+05:30
>> To: S P Suresh
>> Subject: Using a ttf font with separate ligatures in xelatex
>>
>> Dear Suresh,
>>
>> I am trying to use "Minion Regular", a Windows TTF font, in
>> xelatex.  The font comes as two separate files:
>>
>> 1. Minion Regular        : Contains the normal symbols
>> 2. Minion Expert Regular : Has ligatures and old style numerals
>>
>> My problem is the following: How do I tell xelatex that the
>> ligatures for Minion Regular are to be found in Minion Expert
>> Regular?  If I just use Minion Regular without any additional
>> information, xelatex does not generate any ligatures.
>>
>> I have found directives in fontspec.sty to tell xelatex about
>> which font to use for BoldFace, Italics etc, but I have not found
>> any mechanism to specify an auxiliary file for ligatures.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> --Madhavan

The XeTeX mailing list is what your friend is looking for. See
<http://tug.org/mailman/listinfo/xetex>. All the XeTeX experts are
there, including Jonathan Kew, the developer of XeTeX, Will
Robertson, the developer of the fontspec package, Akira Kakuto, the
developer of the Windows port, etc.

Beware though: if you mean your friend is using on Linux a font
copied from a Windows PC to a Linux PC, then there might be a
licensing issue there. Running the Windows XeTeX port on the original
Windows PC might be a solution.

Hope this helps,