[OS X TeX] Figure across pages

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at iwu.edu
Thu Jul 13 11:18:56 EDT 2006

On Jul 13, 2006, at 4:02 AM, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> t works with subfigure the same way but one needs to set properly
> both counters figure and subfigure so it would look like you have the
> same figure.

> Still there are (at least) two different figures

@Bruno, by “easy” I guess I meant “easy to maintain”, i.e. not hard-
coding things if possible.
These two lines had taken me almost where I want to go:
\addtocounter{figure}{-1}%
\setcounter{subfigure}{6}%

I then saw in the LaTeX companion the command \ContinuedFloat, which
I could put in the beginning of the second figure and it does the
right thing as the above two (great, because I hate hard-coding
stuff, like in the above \setcounter the number of subfigures in the
first figure environment.

This also makes sure that the second figure  doesn't show up in the
table of figures, awesome.

Now there are two minor problems:
  The Figure line on both pages says:

Figure 2: captionhere

I want the second one to say:
Figure 2, continued: captionhere

I currently did this by putting the second figure in a group (i.e.
surround in braces) and in the group adding the line:
\renewcommand{\thefigure}{\arabic{chapter}.\arabic{figure},~continued}

This did it, but somehow doesn't feel “the right thing”, if for no
other reason since I am hard-coding the fact that my figure numbering
follows my arabic numbering. Also, the “, continued” part has really
no reason to be part of the \thefigure. I guess I ideally would want
to change the place where the “Figure :” part is generated.

I also want to have both page numbers show up in the table of
figures, if possible. I actually am not sure if this is a
requirement. I'll send the draft to my dissertation office without
it, and hopefully they won't mind. But I would like to know how to do
it, for academic reasons at the very least.

For reference, I've appended at the end the text I use to generate
the figures.

Thank you both for your help.
Haris

\begin{figure}[htbp]\centering
   \subfloat[Before the first critical point.]{\includegraphics
[scale=0.4]{pics/basisFig1a.jpg}\label{basissubfig1}}
   \subfloat[After the first positive sector.]{\includegraphics
[scale=0.4]{pics/basisFig2a.jpg}\label{basissubfig2}}\\
   \subfloat[After the second positive sector.]{\includegraphics
[scale=0.3]{pics/basisFig3a.jpg}\label{basissubfig3}}
   \subfloat[A regular level curve.]{\includegraphics[scale=0.3]{pics/
basisFig4a.jpg}\label{basissubfig4}}
   \subfloat[The level curve passing through infinity.]
{\includegraphics[scale=0.3]{pics/basisFig5a.jpg}\label{basissubfig5}}
   \subfloat[Before the second critical point.]{\includegraphics
[scale=0.3]{pics/basisFig6a.jpg}\label{basissubfig6}}\\
   \caption{Demonstration of the process of obtaining the basis.}
   \label{fig:proofDemonstration1}
\end{figure}
{\renewcommand{\thefigure}{\arabic{chapter}.\arabic{figure},~continued}
\begin{figure}[htbp]\centering \ContinuedFloat
   \subfloat[After the second critical point.]{\includegraphics
[scale=0.3]{pics/basisFig7a.jpg}\label{basissubfig7}}
   \subfloat[After all critical points.]{\includegraphics[scale=0.3]
{pics/basisFig8a.jpg}\label{basissubfig8}}
   \caption{Demonstration of the process of obtaining the basis.}
   \label{fig:proofDemonstration2}