[OS X TeX] latex file compilation very very slow

olivier dadoun odadoun at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 05:35:42 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I have installed latex on my PowerBook G4 (under tiger) using i-Installer.
I have compiled this very simple tex file:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage[french]{babel}
\usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
\author{nobody}
\title{Débuter}

\begin{document}
\maketitle
\section{Section One}
C'est super
\subsection{Nice}
gros delire

\section{Title2}
$$x^2+\cos \mathrm{x}$$
\end{document}

and it took 5min to obtain the pdf file (I try few time), which is
very  very slow ... :(
(time pdflatex file.tex
real    5m22.547s
user    1m10.612s
sys     1m3.317)

I make a very simple test:

when I pass in SuperUser mode (in root  user)  and I compile my tex
file again  the compilation is very very fast less  than 2secondes ...

(I created also another account without the root permission, and the
compilation of my tex file is also very very fast).

On  comp.text.tex group someone suggested me to repair all the permissions
(I  used for this the Disk Utility from  /Applications/Utilities/),
but unfortunately the problem persists.

Does anyone have an idea?
by advance thank you.

cheers