[OS X TeX] latex spotlight plugin with X windows Emacs?

Brian P. Flaherty bxf4 at u.washington.edu
Fri Jul 14 19:14:13 EDT 2006

Hello,

I've read a lot of the archives on getting spotlight to work with tex/
latex flies, but I haven't been able to get this working.  I should
note, I'm coming from Solaris and Linux, so I'm not that familiar
with the Mac/Apple way of doing everything.

I have texlive installed in /usr/local and I have emacs-devel from
Darwinports installed in /opt/local/bin.  By using an extension
manager, I can click on an *.tex file in Finder and emacs (under X,
not Emacs.app) starts.  I downloaded the LaTeX MDImporter.pkg from
the YACED sourceforge site and installed it in ~/Library/Spotlight.
I also have DVIImporter and tarimporter in that directory too.  I
then rebuilt the spotlight index with

sudo mdutil -E /

DVI files now show up when I search for a term in spotlight, but tex
files don't.  Is there a way to activate the LaTeX MDImporter in
parallel with X Windows/Emacs?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Brian Flaherty