[OS X TeX] Re: svg to pdf

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jul 15 07:27:43 EDT 2006

Am 15.07.2006 um 06:00 schrieb Ross Moore:

> I couldn't get it to launch as an X11 application, but that
> is no hindrance to command-line use.

Was X11 already running? Did you allow to fc-cache the fonts in your
system? The first time this can take many minutes, half an hour ...
the following times inkscape wastes again many minutes and it seems
that it launches fc-cache every time you choose a font, maybe
creating a file ~/.inkscape/.fccache prevents this behaviour. The
fontconfig file can be found in /etc/fonts (on Tiger). Every user can
have a private ~/.fonts.conf file.

X11R6 provides man pages for

	fc-cache.1
	fc-list.1
	fontconfig.3

Making ~/.fonts.conf and/or /etc/fonts/fonts.conf look right might
allow to use Windows/Linux xdvipdfmx for XeTeX in Mac OS X.

Have you looked into the script /Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/
Resources/bin/inkscape? Or which libraries /Applications/Inkscape.app/
Contents/Resources/bin/inkscape-bin uses? There is also the  /
Applications/Inkscape/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/extensions folder.

There is a problem with the preferences: the window is partially
behind the Mac OS X tool-bar. It might not work to set any, because
to close this window you'll need to (x)kill the application! (Fink's
elder inkscape behaves more sane. And it has inkview, an SVG viewer.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on
top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of
things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible
concentration."
                                              -Donald Knuth