[OS X TeX] Re: Xindy?

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Mon Jul 17 11:13:35 EDT 2006

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your interest in xindy. While I don't have a Mac myself and
don't have access to one either, I'm very interested in improving the support
for xindy on Mac OS X. As Maarten already mentioned, if there are any changes
that we can make to improve the compilation, I'm all for it. E.g., we can
explicitly unset *FLAG variables if we detect a Darwin environment, if that
would be sufficient. But currently the thread reads as if still some issues are
out there.

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> And looks very similar to what I built a couple of weeks back, though I
> didn't have this exact source archive as my starting point. (See
> http://www.jfkew.plus.com/xindy-macosx.html for the ready-to-use
> package, as well as notes on what I used.)

The changes that are described on that page (to the C header file ordrules.h,
don't use readline) have been folded into the source tarball that is used in
these tests. Of course, if there are more changes

> (1) I suspect it's a good idea to purge any hint of Fink's /sw tree from
> your paths, as the build is known to work on a Fink-free system but
> seems liable to have problems when other versions of stuff -- could be
> headers & libraries, autotools stuff, other utilities.... who knows! --
> get mixed in. Different versions of autotools support files, for
> example, could easily affect things.

The next release will try to avoid usage of autotools stuff outside of xindy,
maybe that helps here, too.

> (2) There might be a real issue with Intel-based Macs, as this is NOT
> listed as a supported platform in
> rte/clisp-2.33.2/ffcall/trampoline/PLATFORMS. (Maybe it's OK, and the
> file just hasn't been updated, but I'd be concerned as this is low-level
> CPU and OS-specific stuff.)

I haven't followed this thread fully -- Maarten only recently brought it to my
attention. Does anybody here knows if the current version of CLISP (that is
2.38) compiles on Intel-based Macs? If that's the case, that would be enough
reason to use it in xindy's distribution.

Best,
	Joachim

--
Joachim Schrod			Email: jschrod at acm.org