[OS X TeX] Re: Xindy?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Jul 18 06:28:29 EDT 2006

Am 18.07.2006 um 03:37 schrieb Joachim Schrod:

> 1) configure call:
>
>  [...]
>
> I don't know what you want to achieve, but this is a sure way to
> make it fail; all of these -f options are bound to cause havoc
> during compilation. You influence low-level register allocation and
> stack-frame layout decisions; you should only do this when you're
> very sure that you need this and know exactly what they will cause
> in the application.

These options are chosen to adapt the compiled software better to my
hardware. I did not found a software package yet that fails with
these options.

> Has configure problems in detecting your correct platform?

No.

> Is that the reason for those -m options?

No. It's again adaptation to the hardware. Usually I don't give away
compiled files, so I prefer to have them optimised for my hardware.

> 2) I have to say that I don't understand the following statement
> completely:
>
>> I don't mind that some configure scripts have their own idea how
>> they are to be used, but I do mind that the rte configure takes
>> some FLAGs from the outside environment and does not follow what
>> I've set at starting the whole phase.
>
>  -- That *FLAGs are taken from the environment is a wanted
>     behavior, as with all programs that use GNU's configure framework.
>     I.e., this is a feature and not a bug; we will not be able to
> change
>     that, since we are bound to configure by the reuse of other
> projects'
>     code.

When this happens, then it should only happen with the top-level
configure. All the other configure scripts should better share this
configure's environment.

>  -- I don't understand the "does not follow" part. From the logs
> that you
>     posted, the options that you specified were used during
> compilation.
>     Perhaps I did not see it: Where did you expect which options to
> be used,
>     and they weren't?

Here, in this configure step, environment from the shell are used,
not those I supplied in top-level configure:

	configure: configuring in rte
	configure: running /bin/sh './configure' --prefix=/usr/local
'LDFLAGS=-dead_strip -L/usr/local/lib -L/sw/lib/ncurses -L/sw/lib -L/
usr/X11R6/lib' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -I/sw/include -I/usr/
X11R6/include' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb -O -pipe -faltivec -maltivec -
mabi=altivec -mcpu=7450 -no-cpp-precomp -fomit-frame-pointer -
foptimize-register-move -fcprop-registers -frename-registers -
freorder-blocks -fpeephole -mpowerpc-gfxopt -mpowerpc-gpopt'
'CXXFLAGS=-I/sw/lib/fontconfig2/include -I/sw/lib/pango-ft219/include
-I/sw/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/sw/include/
libpng12 -I/sw/include -I/usr/local/include' --cache-file=/dev/null --
srcdir=.

> 3) But the real showstopper are those syntax errors in shell
> commands during configuration or compilation. E.g., stuff like
>
>  >     checking the maximum length of command line arguments... expr:
>> syntax error
>>     ../libtool: line 5306: test: : integer expression expected
>>     ../libtool: line 5306: test: : integer expression expected
>>     using piecewise archive linking...
>>     ../libtool: line 5341: test: : integer expression expected
>>     ../libtool: line 5341: test: : integer expression expected
>
> This means that some Unix commands in configure and in libtool that
> work on dozens of Unix platforms don't work on Mac OS X. (This
> problem got reported by Simon as well.) I have no idea at all what
> causes this, that needs Mac OS X and/or Fink expertise to solve.

The libtool errors happen when only then (Å 5 out of 10 tries) when
the maximum length of the command line arguments could not be
determined.

> Maybe one needs to check if the same problem is still there with
> CLISP 2.38 (downloadable from http://clisp.cons.org/). The test
> command sequence is:
>
>     ./configure --with-export-syscalls --with-module=regexp \
>         --without-readline --without-unicode
>     cd src
>     ./makemake --with-dynamic-ffi --with-export-syscalls \
>         --with-module=regexp --without-readline \
>         --without-unicode >Makefile
>     make config.lisp
>     make

Until here it went fine without changing any FLAG in my environment.

>     make check || make check

The base of Darwin, the free part of Mac OS X, is FreeBSD 5. Non-free
is particularly Aqua. And therefore Darwin has none of the typical
applications, but uses X11.

It can't be a mistake to buy a MacBook with an intel CoreDuo that has
Vanderpool enabled (Christmas, next Easter): there hardly would be
another hardware that would allow to run Apple, MS, BSD, Linux, or
other operating systems simultaneously. It's Apple that offers
BootCamp to install and run MS OS' on an intel Mac, not the other way
'round.

--
Mit friedvollen Gr٤en

   Pete

Wenn man die Redlichkeit eines Politikers allzu laut betont, zweifelt
man an seinen FŠhigkeiten.
                                -- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand