[OS X TeX] MacTeX installer and man pages

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Fri Jul 21 12:45:17 EDT 2006

On Jul 21, 2006, at 09:08 , Chris Goedde wrote:

> I just upgraded to Tiger and installed TeX and friends using the
> latest MacTeX installer (very nice!). I need to look at the man
> page for ps2pdf, so I opened the terminal and typed 'man ps2pdf'.
> This gives the response 'No manual entry for ps2pdf'. However, if I
> look in /usr/local/man/man1, I see ps2pdf.1, as I should. So
> apparently, something (path setting or otherwise) is not getting
> set for the man pages. What's the recommended way to do this?
> Shouldn't this have been done automagically by the MacTeX installer?

I can't speak to the MacTeX installer issue, but for Mac OS X (cf.
"man man" and "man man.conf"), the man command is configured via
'man.conf'.  Since "/usr/local" is not standard, it may not be set up
in the configuration file.  You can modify this yourself, following
the info in that file.

In addition, the 'man' command looks at the environment variable
MANPATH, which overrides other configuration.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large