[OS X TeX] MacTeX installer and man pages

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at iwu.edu
Fri Jul 21 16:33:21 EDT 2006

On Jul 21, 2006, at 12:17 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:
> I think trying to make sense of conflicting directions given by the
> above is fairly difficult, so the easy-to-implement, as well as
> easy-to-explain, choice is the hierarchy approach, without merging.

I don't see how making sense of conflicting directions is any
different than having multiple paths in MANPATH. If MANPATH has more
than one paths in it, and the same filename exists in more than one
path, then the first path appearing will take priority. I don't see
why the same principle wouldn't apply in this case as well, since
there is a very clear hierarchy of where man searches for its files.
I can sort of see the point of having the overriding behavior in the
case of other executables, but I sort of don't see much reason for it
for man.

I guess it can be useful for testing things, but then perhaps a more
secret option would make more sense.

Just curious.

Haris