[OS X TeX] Potentially OT question: recovering deleted TeXShop documents

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 11:56:37 EDT 2006

On 7/22/06, Jeffrey Roland <jroland at lsu.edu> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had the misfortune to lose some TeXShop documents through
> > accidental deletion recently, and I'm trying to recover them from my
> > hard drive.  I've used a program called Data Rescue II to recover a
> > bunch of deleted files but none of the files (so far as I can tell)
> > are LaTeX files.  Anybody have any ideas about what kind of files I
> > should be looking for or other ways I might be able to get at these
> > "lost" files?

I believe that DR should be directed to look for ASCII text files. You
attempts to restore files will fail if the sectors where they are
written are overwritten, which depends on: how much activity your HD
have seen lately, how much free space do you have and how much RAM
(since using a disk space for the virtual memory also overwrites
files). To recover data use ANOTHER HD or recovering some files you
erase remnants of others.