[OS X TeX] Output to RTF?

Adam Goldstein adam.goldstein at jhu.edu
Thu Jul 27 17:02:11 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I use TeXshop and the GWTex installation on an iBook G4 with OS
10.4.7. Here is my question.

I have some collaborators who insist on my using Word, and also, now
that I have finished my degree, I am ready to try to write up my
results and publish them; as I am in the Humanities, most of the
journals do not accept LaTeX files for manuscripts, but require RTF
or Word documents in manuscript format, i.e., double spacing, 1 inch
margins.

My thought was that I could work as usual in TeXShop using all of my
favorite classes and macros, and then, when I was ready to submit,
create some class or other to generate an appropriate-looking
manuscript (I don't know which class I would use; maybe I will just
create an ad-hoc output style by fiddling with margins using the
geometry package and whatever else is required to get double-
spacing); and then use something like latex2trf (http://
latex2rtf.sourceforge.net/; an OS X GUI utility exists for this program)
to create an RTF file from the output.
Then I could submit that to whatever journal I wanted, and also, I
could send the RTF output to my Word-addicted collaborators. Any
suggested changes they want to make could be made in the source,
which could then be used to generate a new RTF file.

I have hunted around on ctan, but I haven't been able to find any
class files that output into Chicago Manual of Style, or in Turabian
style, for papers and short manuscripts. Mostly these sources have
been used for creating bib styles, not the text itself.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone might be able to offer. I
know that there are some fellow philosophers out there; maybe they
have come across similar problems?

-Adam
-----
Adam Goldstein, Ph.D.