[OS X TeX] Counting words in a latex file

John Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Thu Jun 1 23:49:47 EDT 2006

Simple answer: no.  You need the finished document to expand all of
the references, labels, and bib tags.  So, you need the finished
document, which, for most instances, means the final pdf.  I extract
the text from the pdf (any pdf viewer has this as an option), delete
all the headers, page numbers, figure captions, etc. etc., and then
use a simple text editor to do the word count.  It still beats using M
$-Absurd, and probably more accurate, too.

On 1-Jun-06, at 6:00 PM, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2006, at 4:54 PM, Jan Erik Moström wrote:
>
>> Is there a simple way of doing a word count in a latex file,
>> preferably one that
>> can exclude figures/tables etc?

See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

-Dr. John R. Vokey