[OS X TeX] [OT] Journal abbreviations in bibtex

Peter Erwin erwin at mpe.mpg.de
Sun Jun 4 17:45:25 EDT 2006

Responding a bit late....

>On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 03:19:13PM -0500, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>>>Thanks for the links. I meant, however, latex abbreviations, such
>>>as \apj, etc.
>>
>>This might be helpful:
>>http://ads.harvard.edu/pubs/bibtex/astronat/doc/html/astronat_3.html
>
>See also <http://doc.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs_doc/faq.html#bibtex>. While
>there is no standard, the abbreviations used by ADS are a de facto
>standard in astrophysics.

The particular abbreviations for journals such as The Astrophysical Journal
("ApJ" for short) are defined in the AASTeX package:
http://doc.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs_doc/aas_macros.html

There's a subset style file which has just the journal macro definitions here:
http://doc.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs_doc/aas_macros.sty
so you can see that "\apj" is defined as:

\def\apj{\ref at jnl{ApJ}}                 % Astrophysical Journal

The AASTeX package is used for LaTeX submissions to the American Astronomical
Society journals: The Astrophysical Journal (and the Letters and Supplement
companion journals) and The Astronomical Journal.  The same abbreviations
are also used by the other major journals (e.g., Monthly Notices of the
Royal Astronomical Society), though they have their own LaTeX packages
which don't use the journal macros.

(Once upon a time, different abbreviations were used in print -- e.g.,
Astrophys.J. -- or the journal names were italicized, so I think that's part
of the logic behind keeping the macros around.)

Probably more than you wanted to know, but there you are...

cheers,

Peter
Peter Erwin                   Max-Planck-Insitute for Extraterrestrial
erwin at mpe.mpg.de              Physics, Giessenbachstrasse
tel. +49 (0)89 30000 3695     85748 Garching, Germany
fax  +49 (0)89 30000 3495     http://www.mpe.mpg.de/~erwin