[OS X TeX] Trouble installing a new font

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Jun 4 18:07:33 EDT 2006

Le 4 juin 06 à 17:50, delanoy at math.univ-lyon1.fr a écrit :

>   That's right : When the second of those commands is run, the
> file /fonts/map/dvips/archaic/etruscan.map is among the listed
> MAP entries. But if I run ``updmap-sys" just after that, etruscan.map
> has already disappeared from the list of entries.
>   All those manipulations seem to have no effect whatsoever on the
> bad PDF
> output or the warning message in the console when the test source
> LaTeX file
> is processed.

Have you looked at the content of etruscan.map, as produced by
LaTeXing etruscan.ins according to the README? After doing that here,
the file etruscan.map is empty. And indeed etruscan.dtx (from which
the map file is supposed to be extracted) contains no mapping
information. Apparently a bug in the distribution.

You might try to cook up your own etruscan.map. The following line
should do:

	etr10 Archaic-Etruscan <etr10.pfb

Here's the steps I've gone through here:

- LaTeX etruscan.ins to produce .sty, .fd and .map files.

- Add to etruscan.map the above missing single-line content.

- Move etr10.afm to /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/afm/
public/archaic/

- Move etr10.pfb to /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/type1/
public/archaic/

- Move etr10.tfm to /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/tfm/
public/archaic/

- Move etruscan.map to /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/
dvips/archaic/

- Move etruscan.sty, ot1etr.fd and t1etr.fd to /usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.local/tex/latex/etruscan/

- Move etruscan.dtx and etruscan.pdf to /usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.local/doc/latex/etruscan/

- Run "sudo -H texhash".

- Run "sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map etruscan.map".

Afterwards the included tryetruscan.tex compiles OK.

Hope this helps,