[OS X TeX] TeXShop-2.10beta

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 5 07:35:34 EDT 2006

On 5 Jun 2006, at 11:57, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 05.06.2006 um 01:22 schrieb Richard Koch:
>
>> A beta release of TeXShop 2.10 can be obtained at
>
> The engines can be made 'universal' by letting them invoke /usr/
> local/teTeX/bin/`uname -p`-apple-darwin-current/<utility> or by
> extending the search path with  /usr/local/teTeX/bin/`uname -p`-
> apple-darwin-current.

Somehow, I think these instructions to build a fat^H^H^HUniversal
binary will give a more user friendly experience.
http://developer.apple.com/opensource/buildingopensourceuniversal.html
 From what I can see: all Jonathan has to do is

lipo -arch i386 /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current/xetex \
      -arch ppc  /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/
xetex \
      -create -output xetex

to create a new fat binary. Now, it seems that gwTeX uses separate
binaries at the moment, and simply adds the correct architecture to
the path, rather than letting the OS figure things out at run-time. I
don't know how the rest of TeX is handled (in TeXShop), but it seems
to me that XeTeX and gwTeX should be treated as similarly as
possible. A loger term solution that I can see is to (eventually)
create a universal set of tools.

My € 0.02