[OS X TeX] Newbie questions:

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Jun 6 16:20:34 EDT 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 21:32, Rick Hogg wrote:

> 1.) In the (Not So) Short Introduction to LaTeX the
> author keeps referring to a Local Guide that should
> have come with my installation.  Where is it?

Welcome, newbie.

One thing that is good to know is that there are many instructions out
there on the internet regarding TeX and *many* are out of date. TeX has
changed over the years and not all instructions have been updated. If
you read instructions, always take into account how old they are,
before you believe them. This even has been true last tiem I checked
for instructions that come with some commercial programs (e.g.
Mathematica)

(In particular, watch out for instructions on fonts in general and the
tools updmap, fmtutil and texconfig)

I noticed, others had already *really* answered, so I keep out of that.