[OS X TeX] Font issues [was: dvips problem]

mark oilcan markoilcan at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 7 16:47:34 EDT 2006

--- Stephen Anderson <stephen.anderson at yale.edu> wrote:

> I don't have the option of switching to XeTeX, where font issues are
> much less serious, because I need access to some tree-drawing macros
> that produce raw PostScript.  I suppose I can just forget about the
> fonts I installed.  Or else I can go back to the font tutorial and
> start over again, jumping through all of the hoops I jumped through
> once before to convert my fonts to something the TeX system will be
> able to use, though with absolutely no guarantee that the results
> will be consistent with whatever that system now expects.

I haven't been paying very close attention to what all Bruno and Peter
suggested, so I'll apologize now if I say something redundant. You seem to
imply that the problem is with the installation of the fonts, as opposed to
something specific about what's going on with dvips. So, are you sure that
there's nothing in your personal tree that's messing things up? To verify
this be sure to move ~/Library/texmf to something else, e.g.
~/Library/texmf.old. I assume you've done this to no avail. With your
personal tree out of the way, are the fonts accessible with tools other than
dvips, e.g. pdflatex or dvipdfm, with a basic no-frills-attached test file? I
realize you need to use dvips, but I don't recall you mentioning before
whether these other tools could use the fonts (in which case the problem is
with dvips specifically) or not (in which case there is some font
installation issue).

Mark A