[OS X TeX] Texshop and file.pdf

Alain Matthes alain.matthes at mac.com
Thu Jun 8 04:41:36 EDT 2006

Le 8 juin 06 à 08:00, Richard Koch a écrit :

> Alain,
>
> Let me explain the theory first. Ordinary ascii characters are
> always assigned numbers from 0 to 127. This leaves numbers
> from 128 to 255 free. Several different schemes have been
> invented to assign characters to these higher numbers.
> These schemes are the various encodings you can set
> in TeXShop preferences: Mac OS Roman, ISO Latin 1,
> Cyrillic, etc.
>
> In each of these encodings, ANY file is legal. So if you write
> a file in Mac OS Roman, and then open it as ISO Latin 1,
> everything opens fine but some of the characters may not be
> as you expect.
>
> However, UTF-8 Unicode is quite different. Such a file can contain
> any unicode character. The standard ascii characters are
> encoded in the standard way, so a straight ascii file is legal
> UTF-8. But other unicode characters are "encoded in the file."
>
> Because of this encoding, not all files are legal UTF-8 unicode
> files. When the Mac tries to decode, it may reach a point
> where: "wait a minute, this doesn't make sense, this cannot
> be UTF-8 unicode."

my file.tex is encoding with utf8 only,and  the problem is with the
pdf file

> -------
>
> So now we come to your error message. This message usually
> occurs when the default encoding you've set is UTF-8 Unicode,
> and you try to open a file which was not written as Unicode,
> and is not straight ascii. TeXShop tries to open the file as
> Unicode, but finds that it is an illegal. So it has to pick another
> encoding, and it chooses Mac OS Roman. Every file is legal
> Mac OS Roman, so TeXShop can certainly open the file this
> way.
>
> The hope is that you look at the file when it is open and think to
> yourself "this cannot be right, because lots of the characters
> are wrong. Wait a minute, now I remember, I wrote this
> using the Cyrillic encoding. So you close the file and open it
> again in Cyrillic and then everything is OK.

Thanks but it's not exactly that's i wrote :

the problem is not with file.TEX but with file.PDF

1) in the prefs of texshop yes the default encoding  is UTF-8 Unicode

2) a file example

try_utf8.tex

\documentclass[a4paper,10pt]{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} % i use utf8
\usepackage[upright,expert]{fourier}
\begin{document}
efficacité de l'utf8
\end{document}

and i save with utf8

3) now pdflatex on try_utf8.tex and i have a try_utf8.pdf file

4) i close texshop

5) i open try_utf8.pdf with texshop and i've the alert window ??

Conclusion :

a) In the PDF file there is some characters with another encoding
that utf8

b) Texshop has some difficulties with the opening of a pdf file

Greetings

Alain Matthes