[OS X TeX] Newbie questions:

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Jun 8 05:32:28 EDT 2006

Am 08.06.2006 um 08:50 schrieb Robert Bruner:

> 1) xterm fails to pick up the path from /etc/csh.login which i-
> Installer
> added, so invoking xdvi from xterm is more work than it should be.
> I can
> fix this in ~/.tcshrc, but that feels awfully crude.  Perhaps I
> need more
> tuning of X11. I am reading the Apple Mac OS X X11 pages now.

I had prepared a simple on shell scripts based application for MacTeX
to prepare X11 for MacTeX. A now rare reader on this list wrote that
after years of struggling with X11 in Mac OS X he did not achieve as
much progress as double-clicking my application and waiting a minute
or so ...

I can send it privately to you (¼MB).

> 2) Terminal looks pretty good compared to xterm, and a uniform copy/
> paste
> method is nicer than having to remember option-click to paste in
> xterm.

I don't understand this remark -- did you think of putting 'quartz-wm
--only-proxy &' into .xinitrc?

> Off topic, but: I swear that Preview could successfully convert .ps
> files
> until yesterday on my machine, but now says
>      "File error.  Couldn't open the file."

It's hard to judge without the actual PS source. Did you try to to
drop such a PS file on TeXShop? On the command line you can use the
apply command to a series of files that need a uniform transformation.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Eat the rich -- the poor are tough and stringy.