[OS X TeX] Newbie questions:

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Jun 8 06:28:52 EDT 2006

Am 08.06.2006 um 11:59 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> That said, for some reason on my setup when telling "open-x11 xdvi"
> in Terminal I get nothing, and when telling " /usr/local/teTeX/bin/
> powerpc-apple-darwin-current/xdvi" in X11 I get:
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/xdvi: line 1:
> kpsewhich: command not found
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/xdvi: line 46:
> exec: xdvi-xaw.bin: not found
>
> which probably simply reflects the absence of proper path settings.

It's not that easy: you need, as I was complaining on the MacTeX
list, a decent ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist for this to work. (I think
I made earlier this year enough experiments on this topic in Mac OS X
10.4/Tiger in bash or tcsh based environments to state this. But I am
still curious if there is a way to solve this with RC files!)

And, Bruno, please learn that Gerben Wierda changed some time ago i-
Installer in a way that is does not rely on false settings in
~/.MacOSX/environment.plist. ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist is no more a
bad thing for i-Installer -- it can be a threat for the runtime
environment though! Meanwhile there are a few GUI applications to
correct this file if needed.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Wasting time is an important part of living.