[OS X TeX] Backing out of a ~/Library/texmf install

Franck Pastor pastor at fusl.ac.be
Thu Jun 8 09:38:48 EDT 2006

Le 08-juin-06 à 15:10, <stephenmoye at cox.net> a écrit :

> Some time ago, I installed the Lucida fonts in ~/Library/texmf
> install with updmap. Now that i-Installer complains to me regularly
> that it has detected a personal setup in my teTeX installation, and
> having read all the good reasons not to have such a setup, and,
> finally, reading the chilling experiences of  those who did have
> such a setup -- I would like to repent of my sins and reinstall the
> fonts in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local.
>
> Before I do anything I might regret, I want to review what I think
> are the steps to accomplish this
>
> 1. I'll move (mv) the files/directories from ~/Library/texmf to the
> corresponding locations in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local
>
> 2. I'll remove any leftover files and directories in ~/Library/
> texmf  -- what would those be? Is web2c one of them?
>
> 3. Run sudo -H updmap-sys --enable-map lucida.map
>
> I'm fairly clear on the normal installation process. It is undoing
> an older installation that I am concerned about.
>
> Thanks as always for any help.
>
> Stephen Moye

Personnaly, I keep my personal fonts in ~/Library/texmf, and before
performing an update on my TeX installation, I delete the ~/Library/
texmf/web2c directory and all files in the ~/Library/fonts/map
directory, except my personal map files, of course. Then, after the
update, I perform "updmap --enable Map somefont.map" on the command
line, for each map files kept in ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map.

Or if you have many personal fonts, and thus many map files, do
"updmap --enable Map somefont.map" only once, for one map file, and
then you only have to edit the updmap.cfg file that now lies in ~/
Library/texmf/web2c, adding "Map yourfont2.map", "Map yourfont3.map",
etc, at the end of the file. And then a mere "updmap" in your
Terminal is sufficient.