[OS X TeX] Backing out of a ~/Library/texmf install

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jun 8 10:31:39 EDT 2006

Le 8 juin 06 à 15:10, stephenmoye at cox.net a écrit :

> Before I do anything I might regret, I want to review what I think
> are the steps to accomplish this
>
> 1. I'll move (mv) the files/directories from ~/Library/texmf to the
> corresponding locations in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local

Yes. Moving directories in Tiger (and maybe Panther) to such
protected locations may be done in the Finder by drag-and-drop:
you'll get an authentication dialog, asking for an administrator name
and password.

However, you cannot create directories the same way, I think: you'll
have to use the Terminal and "sudo mkdir".

Personally, after doing such additions, I run in i-Installer the
Configure stage in Expert mode, selecting only the "TeX Owner
Selection" step, to make sure that all the stuff in texmf.local has a
consistent set of permissions. (Actually it only sets ownership, not
permissions AFAIK, but that's a start.)

> 2. I'll remove any leftover files and directories in ~/Library/
> texmf  -- what would those be? Is web2c one of them?

Gerben gave once a list of all the files that were created in ~/
Library/texmf by per-user configs. I just copied it this morning
(Paris time) in a message "Rép : [OS X TeX] Font issues [was: dvips
problem] - resolved". Here it is:

> 	~/Library/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_dl14.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_ndl14.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/builtin35.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/download35.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/ps2pk.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_pk.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_t1.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_dl14.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_ndl14.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
> 	~/Library/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
> 	~/Library/texmf/web2c/*.log
> 	~/Library/texmf/web2c/*.fmt
>
> The last line you have to be careful with in case you created your
> own unique formats and dumped them there, as they also end in .fmt.
> You should remove only those that already exist in /usr/local/teTeX/
> share/texmf.local/web2c

> 3. Run sudo -H updmap-sys --enable-map lucida.map

And "sudo texhash" before that (or "sudo mktexlsr", which is exactly
the same).