[OS X TeX] Slightly OT, BibDesk Problem

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Jun 19 10:16:58 EDT 2006

Dan,

On Jun 19, 2006, at 06:50, Dietrich, Daniel L wrote:

> Sorry for the slightly OT post, but I know many on the list use
> BibDesk.

I think BibDesk is on-topic here, since it's Mac OS X only and used
with TeX...but I'm biased.

> I use (and really like) BibDesk for organizing references.  I was
> creating a medium-sized .bib file (60+ refs w/ abstracts) when I
> began to have a problem.  I was linking the references with .pdf
> files and using the AutoFile feature of BibDesk to move them from
> the Desktop to the destination directory.  Now every time I link to
> a new reference and BibDesk goes to move it, it crashes and quits,
> leaving a copy of the .pdf on the desktop and one in the
> destination.  Restarting BibDesk, the .bib file is fine, and the
> file link seems OK (links to the correct directory with a copy in it).
>
> I wasn't using the latest version, so I removed the version I was
> using and installed the latest.  Same problem.  I'd file a bug
> report, but I'm wondering if the problem is in a auxiliary file
> (like a Preference file) that I should just delete.

Sorry you're having this problem.  BibDesk should never crash, so I'd
like to get this fixed ASAP!  Please send me (off list) the relevant
crash logs from ~/Library/CrashReporter/BibDesk.crash.log (check the
crash dates).

A copy of your preference file (~/Library/Preferences/
edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist) and screenshot of your AutoFile
preferences may also help to diagnose the problem.  It's possibly
something in the prefs, but we still shouldn't crash!  If anyone
finds that BibDesk is unstable or leaking memory (or even has a
performance problem), we want to know about it an fix it.

Adam