[OS X TeX] Re: lucida

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Jun 21 15:31:46 EDT 2006

Le 21 juin 06 à 20:53, Leslie W Morland a écrit :

> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
>  \write18 enabled.
> entering extended mode
> [...]
> [1{/Users/lwm/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] (./
> luckey.aux)kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1
> +34/600 --dpi 634 hlcry
> [...]

This last line is the key part: pdfTeX is reading map files from your
home directory, and these supersede those that have been created by
updmap-sys. It may be that you have:

- Either be using instructions found on the web or in ReadMe files,
recommending to edit pdftex.map and dvips.map manually. Don't: either
these instructions are obsolete, or they have been written with
specific Linux or Windows distribution of TeX in mind. On OS X, under
the provision that you've been using Gerben Wierda's distribution,
the proper way of adding map files is to put the additional map files
at the appropriate places in the TeX tree, then run texhash (aka
mktexlsr) then updmap(-sys) to update the relevant pdftex.map,
dvips.map and dvipdfm.map.

- Or been hit by the unending foo-sys vs. foo debacle, namely you've
used updmap originally instead of updmap-sys. In the most recent
version of TeXLive, a backwards-incompatible change has been
introduced, replacing updmap by two separate scripts updmap-sys (for
computer-wide configurations) and updmap (for per-user
configurations). Sadly, it's the new updmaps-sys that provides the
functionality of the former updmap, while the new updmap works
differently.

In any case, what I would recommend is to erase all the following
files and directories (pasted from an earlier  message by Gerben
Wierda), in case they exist:

> 	~/Library/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_dl14.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_ndl14.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/builtin35.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/download35.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/ps2pk.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_pk.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_t1.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_dl14.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_ndl14.map
> 	~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
> 	~/Library/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
> 	~/Library/texmf/web2c/*.log
> 	~/Library/texmf/web2c/*.fmt
>
> The last line you have to be careful with in case you created your
> own unique formats and dumped them there, as they also end in .fmt.
> You should remove only those that already exist in /usr/local/teTeX/
> share/texmf.local/web2c

then re-run updmap-sys then re-run your test.

Right now you must be getting, when running "kpsewhich pdftex.map":

kpsewhich pdftex.map
/Users/lwm/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map

After erasing the superfluous files and re-running updmap-sys, you
should get:

kpsewhich pdftex.map
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map

and all should go well from that point on.

You can get more detail by looking eg at the messages:

<http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2006-June/022709.html>
<http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2006-June/022667.html>
<http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2006-June/022641.html>

and the threads they belong to.

And now for a hint of how Gerben feels about this (when not watching
Netherlands play soccer, of course ;-):

<http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2006-June/022854.html>

Hope this will work,