[OS X TeX] ANN: AquaTkbibtex 1.3

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jun 22 07:37:26 EDT 2006

Le 21 juin 06 à 20:26, Kevin Walzer a écrit :

> I've released version 1.3 of AquaTkbibtex, my "Aquified" version of
> the
> venerable tkbibtex editor developed by Peter Corke. The new release
> is a
> universal binary and includes a refined interface for printing
> documents. It is licensed under the GPL. For more information, see
> http://aquatkbibtex.sourceforge.net/.

Warning: this answer is OT, and may be viewed as a rant.

I am a user of some of your software, which I generally like. This
morning I've looked at Port Authority 1.0, a GUI for DarwinPorts and
a featured download in ADC News #464. I have been a user of
DarwinPorts at times, and have installed xpdf through it, for
example. I have used Port Authority already and have publicized it on
this list IIRC, at the times it was in beta stage and I had heard of
its existence through the DarwinPorts mailing list archive.

When seeing the ADC announcement about the release of Port Authority
1.0 I was first surprised, because I had seen no mention of it on the
DarwinPorts list archive, since a message in April announced version
1.0 was in the works. I downloaded it this morning, and now I
understand: while Port Authority 1.0 is presented at the ADC download
page <http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/
portauthority.html> as freeware, only the X11 version is actually
still freeware while the Aqua version is now shareware. Your download
page is clearer in this respect <http://dpgui.sourceforge.net/>, and
your blog <http://www.kevin-walzer.com/blosxom.cgi/2006/06/12#free_isn
%27t_free> explains indeed why you decided to make the Aqua version
shareware and how you consider web sites should now categorize the
software as shareware (so that I think that the ADC download page, in
particular, should be modified to mention it as shareware, not
freeware).

It's obvious that you have put a lot of time and efforts into Port
Authority, and the software is quite nice indeed. It fills in a
useful gap, bringing to DarwinPorts to same ease of use that Fink has
had for a long time thanks to Fink Commander. Thus, it's perfectly
legitimate that you ask for retribution of your work. However, the
move from freeware to shareware without prior notice seems unethical
to me: a free beta version is released, people are starting to use
it, they are reporting bugs either directly to you or through a
mailing list, you are getting beta testers for free in this way, and
then suddenly without prior notice the software is made shareware
when reaching release quality, so that people have to pay for
continuing to use it.

I was shocked when realizing this, in the same way as I had been
shocked some time ago when Claus Gerhardt's Flashmode scripts, after
testing as freeware on this list IIRC, became suddenly and without
prior notice shareware. What would happen if Gerben Wierda, Dick
Kock, Jérôme Laurens, Jonathan Kew, Adam Maxwell and all the other
freeware Mac OS X TeX developers would suddenly decide that their
work evolves from freeware or donationware to shareware? For sure a
serious blow to the Mac TeX community that would be.