[OS X TeX] Hell cools down... (slightly)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jun 22 08:44:17 EDT 2006

Le 22 juin 06 à 14:01, Paul McCann a écrit :

> Given all the talk about Textures here over the years I guess
> someone should note that there is now an alpha release of the
> software for OS X. But as the release notes indicate, it really
> *does* seem to be an alpha release: see
>
> http://www.bluesky.com/news/220a.html

The new icon is delightful (simple, bare-bones, clean, exactly as I
like), and it's nice to see the old menus back. And the magnifier
lens, with unmagnified output shown dimmed in the background, looks
great.

However, it really seems difficult to use: no VirTeX format which
means no possibility to compile a new format, and no documentation.
Drag-and-dropping a file onto the new Textures doesn't open it. A new
Windows > TeX Metrics window which I suppose provides the
functionality of the former separate EdMetrics application, or of the
former File > Show Fonts item, but there's no indication ever of how
to use it. Edit window without horizontal "slider".

Every time I tried to open one of my former Textures file, a crash
when attempting to typeset, or open the View window. Only
TeXRefCard.tex opened successfully so far (but I couldn't switch from
portrait to landscape, as Page Setup doesn't seem to do anything).
Possibly a consequence of most of my documents typeset with virtual
fonts.

Hmmm...