[OS X TeX] Should I install X11 ?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jun 22 11:06:24 EDT 2006

Le 22 juin 06 à 16:50, Simon Spiegel a écrit :

> I don't think that a "normal user" (whatever that may be) has much
> use of X11.

In relation to TeX, it is required by FontForge (for checking and/or
modifying fonts) and xpdf (which I installed to check whether PDF
files intended for distribution would be readable by Linux users not
willing to install acroread). You may also be willing to experiment
with xdvi (the standard DVI viewer on Linux), GhostView (the standard
PS viewer on Linux), xfig (the standard GUI drawing program on
Linux), the Gimp (the standard image manipulation program on Linux),
etc.

Otherwise, X11 allows running OpenOffice.org (I'm sure you know what
that is) and Port Authority (the GUI front end for DarwinPorts). I
was about to forget: for scientists and engineers, it's also required
by MATLAB and Scilab.

Depends on your needs...