[OS X TeX] TeX i-Package updated (foo-sys/foo workaround, font map search improvement)

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Sat Jun 24 11:13:57 EDT 2006

On Jun 24, 2006, at 10:49 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

>>> No. You need to edit /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.local to get the
>>> previous behaviour. Where it says:

>>> You can change the first variable to
>>>
>>> GWTEXVAR=$HOMETEXMF
>>>
>>> to get the default TL2004-TL2005 (TL2003 and before incompatible)
>>> behaviour. I notice now that the comment is wrong. Sigh. That is
>>> what you get when you're in a hurry. I cannot change that before
>>> Monday.

>> One more question: suppose I don't change this texmf.cnf file. If I
>> want to keep my new font files (.map, .pfa, etc.) installed in my
>> personal directory (i.e. HOMETEXMF, which means ~/Library/texmf, I
>> presume), what should I do with updmap ?
>
> Then you should edit /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf. As is now, the new
> 'personal' behaviour of updmap etc is blocked.

Gerben, Herb, Bruno, et al.,

I want to make sure that I am understanding this (I am the only user
on this machine, if that helps). So, if I keep all my additions
(fonts, class files, style files, macros I input, etc.) in:

~/Library/texmf/

and *I* don't put anything in texmf.local, then it appears that I
should be editing /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf as described above. Is
that correct? Who puts stuff in texmf.local since I didn't put
anything there? This is still so confusing. :-)

So, if I am the only user on this machine, I can put all local
additions in ~/Library/texmf/ and I should run use:

sudo updmap-sys --enable Map MyMap.map

for enabling map files. Yes? No? Depends?

I just noticed that I do have "updmap" directories in the following
locations:

/Users/gray/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap
/Users/gray/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap
/Users/gray/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap

Should they be there?

Thank you for *any* insight you can provide. :-)

Regards,