[OS X TeX] fragmaster, dvips and pdflatex problem

Michael Williams williams at astro.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 26 06:56:49 EDT 2006

Hi Ross,

Thanks very much for the advice (and links)!

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 07:33:02AM +1000, Ross Moore wrote:
>Be aware though, that  psfrag  does have some drawbacks.

[snip]

>  b.  The .eps graphic that you create for  psfrag
>      is not of much use in other settings, due to
>      the spurious text-names for the labels.
>
>   The WaRMreader package/technique was designed as
>   a way to position labels over graphics, so as to
>   avoid such difficulties.
>       http://www-texdev.ics.mq.edu.au/WARM/
>
>   Gary Grey's  WarmFigToPDF  application implements
>   the WaRMreader technique.
>       http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/WFTPDF/
>
>   The latter requires Adobe's Illustrator with a free
>   plug-in module, and this is the easiest way to use
>   the WaRMreader technique. However, it can still be
>   used without these extra tools (more complexity!).

I'd seen WarmFigTOPDF discussed elsewhere, and was impressed. However,
I'm keen to avoid Illustrator if possible (I work on OS X and Linux), so
it may be necessary to get my hands dirty with WaRMreader.

>  c.  psfrag  is essentially a dead-end, so far as
>     future development is concerned, since it requires
>     programming features of the PostScript language.
>     As such, there cannot be an easy PDF equivalent.
>
>     Thus it will probably never be useful for adding
>     labels requiring characters from (un-subsetted)
>     OpenType fonts.

Right now this is not a problem, but it may become a showstopper for me
in the future, so it would be good to migrate to something other than
psfrag (to which I have no particular attachment).

-- Mike