[OS X TeX] SVG to LaTeX?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 26 08:04:13 EDT 2006

On 26-jun-2006, at 13:24, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Ross Moore wrote:
>
>> Note that {filecontents} and \write18 give a way
>> to transfer all of your graphics of whatever format
>> (binary or otherwise) within a LaTeX document.
>> You first convert them to a text-only archival encoding,
>> such as .uu or .hqx .
>> Use \write18 to execute a command to unpack the archive.
>> Then just use \includegraphics normally, with the filenames
>> that exist for the unpacked archive.
>>
>> Of course graphics sent this way are not editable,
>> as they would be if in SVG format.
>
> Now let me see if I got this right: This an alternative to the
> above that is more compact but at the cost of the graphics not
> being editable which wouldn't be acceptable for a GPL.

I may be missing something, but I thought that a filecontents
environment is extracted the first time a latex job runs. After that
the svg files are available for normal editing. Putting the svg files
back into the tex source after editing is tedious, I agree. OTOH,
normally graphics files are just send along in an archive, but here
you could use svg instead of pdf, and have a correct translation done
just before inclusion (a Makefile, or explicitly in the latex
sources). This is much the same compared to the way metapost figures
are included inpdftex.

Maarten