[OS X TeX] Farsi and Urdu

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sat Mar 4 09:09:06 EST 2006

Hi,

On 4 Mar 2006, at 14:57, Daniel Flatin wrote:

> I have a friend who is looking for a good method for writing
> scholarly papers about Afghanistan and the area. She will need to
> include Farsi and Urdu text in the documents. I have looked around
> and found the ArabTeX package <ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-
> stuttgart.de/pub/arabtex/arabtex.htm>, and I was wondering if
> anyone in this group had any familiarity with this package or
> anything similar.

Might using XeTeX be an option, or do the papers need to be published
elsewhere? I imagine that using direct unicode input is a lot easier
than most other 8 bit encodings, especially when languages are mixed.
And no, I do not have much experience, other than with XeTeX a
Chinese colleague was able to write happy new year (in Chinese, in a
LaTeX document) without any configuration on my part. I found that
pretty amazing.

Maarten