[OS X TeX] Cocoa Text System

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Mar 4 11:17:42 EST 2006

On 4 Mar 2006, at 3:53 pm, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2006, at 07:45, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A few days ago I came across this description of the Cocoa Text
>> System. For me it solved a long standing annoyance where the
>> decimal separator on the numeric keypad follows the keyboard
>> layout rather than the decimal separator in the international
>> preferences pane. Quite annoying when entering a number in
>> OmniOutliner and the keyboard was set to Dutch. Add
>>    "#," = ("InsertText:", ".")
>> to the DefaultKeyBindings.dict file and the problem disappears.
>
> That's cool; I didn't realize you could modify key bindings like
> that.  You probably want "insertText:" instead of "InsertText:",
> though :).

An alternative approach would be to create a modified keyboard layout
file that maps the keys to characters according to your preferred
arrangement (e.g., start with a copy of the Dutch layout, but change
the character generated by the numeric keypad decimal key). This is
easy to do with the Ukelele tool (see http://scripts.sil.org/ukelele).

A possible advantage (depending exactly what you want to achieve) is
that this would apply across all OS X applications, rather than only
those using Cocoa Text.

JK