[OS X TeX] tex-fat

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Mar 5 09:51:06 EST 2006

Am 05.03.2006 um 15:15 schrieb linda.s:

> tex-fat or something else? what is the difference?

The concept of the TeX i-Packages is that with its thin version you
can download a structure of data files and scripts i-Installer can
instantly start working with. Then i-Installer downloads
incrementally those particles you need for your installation. An
already fattend package file can contain some 10...100 MB data you
wouldn't need or install, it could have TeX binaries for the old
PowerPC driven Macs and for the newer intel based ones, or the
binaries itself can be from the TeX Live distributions 2004 and 2005
and you can only install one of them.

An even fatter all-in-one package with additional binaries and
applications is MacTeX: http://www.tug.org/~koch/ (¼ GB).

Since they all take from the same repository it makes no big
difference. I prefer to use i-Installer to install in expert mode
exactly what I need (MacTeX is based on a TeX installation in basic
mode).

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for
lists of "Ten Best".
-- H. Allen Smith