[OS X TeX] converting jpg to eps

Tom Koornwinder thk at science.uva.nl
Sun Mar 5 19:01:43 EST 2006

The following may be trivial for experienced TeX hackers, but it took me
some time to get these things straight. Maybe the following information
is helpful for some readers.

The frequently occurring jpg picture format is handled without problem by
pdflatex (the default engine in TeXShop) together with the
package graphicx.
However, when one chooses an engine which first produces a dvi file, one
needs the eps format for picture files. The dvi road is mandatory if one
wants to make latex based presentation files with prosper or the more recent
powerdot.

The converter jpeg2ps from jpg to eps format can be downloaded from
http://www.pdflib.com/products/more/jpeg2ps.html
See http://jamesclarke.info/notes/Eps (end of the web page)
how to install jpeg2ps (assuming that one has already installed XCode).
Then one can convert picture files by the command
jpeg2ps file.jpg > file.eps

I recently experienced that the well-known preprint arxive http://arxiv.org/
does not accept latex source files which read jpg files. So also for submitting
a preprint there, one needs to convert jpg into eps.
When reading  eps files into the latex file, one has to produce dvi.
In that case I have the habit to start my latex files with the
line    %!TEX TS-program =  latex
However, then the typesetting engine of http://arxiv.org/ does not
produce satisfactory output. The reason is that
the sequence "%!" is the Unix magic filetype indicator for PostScript,
so their system fails to recognize it as latex.

So, if you submit to http://arxiv.org/, you should remove a first line
starting with "%!" from your latex file.

		Tom Koornwinder