[OS X TeX] [Sort-of Off]: Plotting Software

Fernando Pereira fcnpereira at mac.com
Tue Mar 7 09:44:31 EST 2006

On Mar 7, 2006, at 4:37 AM, markus bongard wrote:
> R -  is `GNU S', a freely available language and environment for
> statistical computing and graphics which provides a wide variety of
> statistical and graphical techniques: linear and nonlinear
> modeling, statistical tests, time series analysis, classification,
> clustering, etc. -> http://cran.r-project.org/

Although R/S's language takes some getting used to, there's excellent
documentation and several outstanding text books for it, and it
produces easily the best statistical plots of any free software. The
investment in learning R will pay off handsomely in better data
analysis. Depending on what I'm doing and who I'm working with, it's
either R or MATLAB (not free). Both produce plots that are easy to
incorporate into LaTeX documents.

-- F