[OS X TeX] i386 versus powerpc?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Mar 7 16:31:10 EST 2006

Am 07.03.2006 um 22:09 schrieb Gary L. Gray:

> how do I know that it is executing the proper binaries in i386-
> apple-darwin-current versus binaries in powerpc-apple-darwin-current?

It's the path environment variable in (t)csh and zsh or the PATH
variable in (ba)sh and ksh.

To check which programme gets executed from the command line, invoke
'which <programme name>.' The which programme follows the path or
PATH variable and searches in these spots for <programme name>.

For AppleScript I'd do the effort and create a ~/.MacOSX/
environment.plist file with the right contents. This file is the real
root for process environment variables. Start this way:

	mkdir ~/.MacOSX
	defaults write ${HOME}/.MacOSX/environment "PATH" /all:/my:/paths:/
usr/bin

Later set INFOPATH, MANPATH, LANG, LC_CTYPE, ... You use these values
in .bashrc or in .cshrc as:

	export LANG=$(defaults read "${HOME}/.MacOSX/environment" LANG)
	export PATH=$(defaults read "${HOME}/.MacOSX/environment" PATH)

	setenv LANG `defaults read "${HOME}/.MacOSX/environment" LANG`
	set path=( `defaults read "${HOME}/.MacOSX/environment" PATH | tr

So you can have one central place to establish all shells or Mac
applications need.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
-- Elbert Hubbard