[OS X TeX] pdf v1.6 problem

Chris Milne cjmilne at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 15:18:26 EST 2006

Greeting all,

I've an odd pdf problem where I've used Acrobat to 'paste' a pdf label
onto a pdf graph & everything looks good until I stick the new merged
pdf file into LaTeX as a figure & the label disappears. The merged pdf
looks fine in Preview & Acrobat but the LaTeX pdf output only shows
the graph with no label in both Preview & Acrobat. The log spits out

Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
(file ./figures/cascades-CS2-111111-labelled.pdf): pdf inclusion:
found pdf version <1.6>, but at most version <1.4> allowed
<figures/cascades- CS2-111111-labelled.pdf, id=850, 564.09966pt x
524.10704pt> File: figures/cascades-CS2-111111-labelled.pdf Graphic
file (type pdf)

which appears to indicate my merged pdf is v1.6 & pdflatex can only
handle v1.4 & whatever trick Acrobat has used is a v1.6 trick ? I've
done some quick googling & not found anything overly relevant so I
thought I'd ask here. This is with pdfeTeX, Version
3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5). Note I also get this on the PC
(MikTeX v2.4) but with an additional 'xpdf support version 1.5' which
is kind of fun.

Chris

As an aside I'd like to add my restrained vote for Igor as a plotting
program, it handles contour & surface plots nicely which is a rarity.
Though the initial barrier to adoption can be steep (waves !) once you
figure it out it makes data manipulation very simple. The only gripe I
have with it is it seems to go out of its way to make importing data
painful. For XY stuff Plot seems quite remarkable for a free program.

--

Miller Group
Department of Chemistry