[OS X TeX] Textures Announcement

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Mar 10 04:54:46 EST 2006

On 10 Mar 2006, at 8:53 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 10 mars 06 à 08:03, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> Did you run in \batchmode?
>
> Not sure what you mean here. From the command line:
>
> $ time tex texbook.tex
> This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.5)
> [...]
> Output written on texbook.dvi (494 pages, 2030580 bytes).
> Transcript written on texbook.log.
>
> real    0m6.816s
> user    0m3.664s
> sys     0m0.255s
>
> $ time tex -interaction batchmode texbook.tex
> This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.5)
> [...]
> Output written on texbook.dvi (494 pages, 2030580 bytes).
> Transcript written on texbook.log.
>
> real    0m6.614s
> user    0m3.660s
> sys     0m0.258s
>
> So that the times aren't significantly different.

OK, I just wondered whether generating the terminal output would make
much difference. (Actually, IIRC the TeXbook changes the interaction
setting somewhere during the run, so simply setting -interaction
fromthe command line might not be sufficient to run "silently" the
whole way.)

I wonder how much speed you could gain by using an optimized texmf
tree to minimize file search times.

> But if you mean what I did to get texbook.tex to compile, then yes,
> I had to modify it very slightly. I'd prefer not to enter into the
> details here, as the file starts with a notice telling it shouldn't
> be TeXed unless explicitly allowed in writing by the copyright
> holder or publisher. Obviously this is for preventing people to
> compile the file rather than purchasing the TeXbook. I just hope
> that for the purpose of benchmarking as I did this once it's OK
> (and I did purchase three copies of the TeXbook over the years!).

Yes, understood .... I've also used it as a test/benchmark from time
to time, though I prefer to use a little "driver" file that redefines
a couple of things and then \input's an unedited copy of texbook.tex. :)

JK