[OS X TeX] Re: Publicon today

Bill Rowe bitreader at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 12 18:04:45 EST 2006

On 3/12/06 at 3:43 PM, matsoukas at psu.edu (Themis Matsoukas) wrote:

>I also use Mathematica a lot but, while I find it's math
>capabilities impressive, I give it a rating of extremely poor in
>its integration with other programs.  Its tex support is equally
>poor, for example, TeXForm[a + 2.0 x + x^2] produces
>x^2+\text{2.$\grave{ }$} x+a (notice that the order of the terms
>has changed, not to mention the lunacy of \text{...}).

There are two separate issues here. The order of the terms has changed due to the way Mathematica evaluates expressions. Mathematica puts an expression in a standard order before doing further evaluation. If you simply type a + 2.0 x + x^2 into Mathematica you will see it returns the same expression with the terms re-ordered. That is the re-ordering issue has nothing to do with TexForm.

The issue with \text{...} is due to the way Mathematica translates expressions to TeX. As I am still learning TeX, I can't offer comments on this.